Improving Your Image Through Visual Communications



Journalist - Photographer - Writer

Friday 22 October 2010

Merimbula is more than a location – it’s where X marks the spot

By Darren Stones

The evening before a crisp, still morning of potentially fulfilling photography reinforces earlier thoughts of the likelihood of recording Mother Nature’s golden light. With the forecast looking promising, the idea of awakening early from a deep slumber is all the more pleasant given I’ve researched my location and used Google maps to my advantage.

Merimbula, New South Wales, Australia IMG_7438_Merimbula
Middle Beach – Merimbula, New South Wales, Australia
Photo: Darren Stones

Casting my mind back pre Google map days, I vividly recall relying more on guess work and vigorously scouting locations after travelling hundreds of kilometres for a keeper or two. But how times have changed for someone like me – a research nut who adores Mr Google’s invention and how it’s allowed me to place myself wherever I wish – almost.

Merimbula, New South Wales, Australia IMG_7417_Merimbula
Middle Beach – Merimbula, New South Wales, Australia
Photo: Darren Stones

When perched in my home office navigating the Monday to Friday grind and attempting to earn a razoo, I cast myself forward a month or two and begin dreaming of “Location, location, location.” My heart begins to race and a clear picture begins to form in my mind. I momentarily find myself imagining where X marks the spot, fiddling with f-stops between 8 and 16, and contemplating which filter to slide into the holder. Again I’m in dreamland and projecting myself forward into the future.

Excuse me for a little while as I’m craving to surf the web. I have another X spot to investigate.

1 comment:

Hi and thanks for visiting.

Please post your comment or ask a question in relation to this article.

Darren Stones