The Long Weekend in June this year saw me hosting the 2012 Grenfell Festival Travel Photography Workshop. It was an official event of the 55th Grenfell Henry Lawson Festival of Arts, and it was a privilege to conduct it.
Held on Saturday 9 June, 2012 from 8.30-11.30am, workshop participants were provided instruction in:
This workshop was specially designed for the festival, with much planning, promotion and marketing having taken place. Fortunately, the sun shone brightly on the day and we were able to guide participants to some terrific scenes around town. One of the highlights for our workshop guests was being able to photograph Australian entreprenuer Dick Smith, who was this year's Special Guest at the festival.
All participants were actively involved from the outset in this workshop, as we were keen to get them photographing, learning and interacting with each other. Facilitating a workshop such as this is made easier when you have keen photographers wanting to learn new skills in an interactive and hands-on environment.
I thoroughly enjoyed planning, developing and facilitating this workshop. I believe the festival was strengthened for having made sure it was an integral part of the program. Given the festival promotes the arts, and rewards artists from near and afar, I do believe that an interactive learning experience in a friendly setting such as this does actually entice people to become part of the festival.
My special thanks to:
- Everyone who attended the workshop
- My partner Bronwyn who assisted me on the day
- The Grenfell Henry Lawson Festival of Arts Committee for having the foresight to see the value of the workshop and providing me the opportunity to conduct it
- Carly Brown for promoting the workshop via the festival's Facebook page
- The webmasters of the Grenfell Henry Lawson Festival website
- Gail Douglas for promoting the workshop at the Young Camera Club
- Auburn Carr of the Weddin Shire Council for providing tourism booklets and brochures for our information packs that we distributed to our guests
- The various media outlets who provided me with space for promoting the event